CHARLES WILSON MCCURDY
[Webmaster's Note: If
you have photos of John A. or Charles W. McCurdy, please email me at
Charles "Charlie" Wilson McCurdy was born in
1877 in Madison County, Georgia, to John A. McCurdy (1830-1891) and his second
wife, Elizabeth W. Strickland (1840-1929). Sometime during the next six years,
John McCurdy moved his family to Maysville, Georgia, where he was noted in May
of 1883 by The Jackson Herald to be making preparations with Mr. J. M. Burns to
"build some neat dwellings."
The Jackson Herald, June 1,
On next Sunday afternoon in the Methodist Church in Maysville between the hours of 4 and 6 p.m., Mr. and Mrs. CW McCurdy will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
It was in this church 50 years ago that Charles W. McCurdy and Miss Curtice Camp were united in the holy bonds of matrimony and during this half century since, they have been obedient to the solemn vows they assumed at that time. Not only have they had a happy home but have been valuable assets to their city, county and state, and a blessing to the church. Their friends will experience pleasure and joy in paying honor and tribute to them next Sabbath afternoon.
The reception will be informal. It will be an occasion of Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy meeting with old and new friends and all rejoicing together over the long useful and consecrated lives. They request no gifts.
The reception is being given by their two daughters, Miss Frances McCurdy, who teaches in Decatur, and Miss Hilda McCurdy, a member of the Young Harris faculty. Because of work on the Maysville-Homer Highway, it was impossible to have the reception at the McCurdy home.
The Jackson Herald, June 8,
The Methodist Church in Maysville was the scene from four until six o’clock Sunday afternoon of a beautifully planned reception honoring the 50th wedding anniversary of Curtice Camp McCurdy and Charles W. McCurdy, representatives of two prominent families of that section of Georgia. They were married June 4, 1900 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Camp, in Maysville.
June 4, 1950 marked the 50th year since Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy plighted their troth and began together life’s journey. It was an eventful and long to be remembered day in our neighbor city of Maysville.
Visitors arrived not only from Maysville, but from Atlanta, Decatur, Athens, Jefferson, Commerce, Comer, Gillsville, Young Harris, Tampa and Ft. Meade Fla., New York, Seneca, SC, Indianapolis, Gainesville and Gainesville, FL to honor Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy, a popular and beloved couple who were reared in Maysville and have spent their entire lives in this little city of as fine men and women as can be found in any other section of this country.
The church was beautifully decorated with an arrangement of flowers. A table, centered with the bridal cake, was covered with a lace cloth.
The guests were greeted at the door by Mrs. WC Lockhart and Mrs. Cornelia Carefoot of Ft. Meade FL who kept the register. Then they were presented to the receiving line: Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy, Misses Frances and Hilda McCurdy and Mr. Camp, the brother of Mrs. McCurdy. The bride of 50 years ago was gowned in a light blue, floor-length, afternoon dress. Her should corsage was an orchid. The Misses McCurdy also wore attractive afternoon costumes with corsages of carnations.
From the receiving line, the guests were ushered to the punch bowl where a delicious beverage, embossed cakes and nuts were served by Mrs. Ed Chandler, Mrs. WH Wylie, Mrs. John Sheridan, Mrs. Robert Henderson, Mrs. LW Eberhart, Mrs. Billy Pittman and Mrs. CJ Meaders. Mrs. Robert Carr added to the pleasure of the occasion with several piano selections.
The guests were seated and Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy stood before the altar. Miss Hilda McCurdy, with Mrs. Robert Carr at the piano, sang “Because” and “The Lords Prayer,” after which Rev. Shell, pastor of the church, reunited the couple with a lovely ceremony, closing with a prayer.
Mrs. LC Atkins of Young Harris cut the tiered bridal cake with a silver carving knife and punch was again served with a silver ladle, both silver pieces being wedding gifts of 50 years ago.
Good-byes were said. Mr. and Mrs. McCurdy radiated their joy and happiness and everyone present voiced the pleasure of being present at such a lovely and hallowed occasion.
Page last updated 03/06/2010
This website is (c) 2001-2010 by W. Todd Dorsey. Limited license is granted to you for personal use. No part of this site may be reproduced or reprinted, either electronically or by other means, without the express written permission of the owner. All rights reserved.